I always say, inspiration can come from anywhere – and this time around, it came from Facebook! (Well, sort of…)
Writer/poet Laura Shovan has an annual writing-prompt project she calls the February Daily Poem Project, and those of us who sign up to take part in it can visit the official Facebook page for a daily dose of inspiration. This year, the focus is on ekphrastic poetry; that is, poetry inspired – and often written to accompany – a piece of visual art.
A few days ago, we were doing some “warm-ups,” so to speak, when a painting by Brian Kershisnik caught my attention. A number of other folks had already written their responses to the picture, but before I read any of theirs, I wanted to get mine written; I already had an idea in my head, and it needed to get out.
After about 20 minutes, this is what I came up with:
…………………Beyond that which we see and hear,
…………………the world awaits your touch, my dear –
…………………with all its mountains, trees, and shores.
…………………You are the stars,
…………………and they are yours.
…………………– © 2018, Matt Forrest Esenwine, all rights reserved
Donna at Mainely Write is hosting Groundhog Day – err, I mean, Poetry Friday! – so head on over to her little spot on the web for the complete roundup!
New dates continue to be added to the book tour! Here’s how our schedule looks right now (more dates to be added soon!):
- Sat., April 14, 11am: Toadstool Bookshop, Peterborough, NH, (Children’s Author Day with illustrator Ryan O’Rourke AND Local Book Launch for Don’t Ask a Dinosaur!)
- Sat., April 14, 2pm: Toadstool Bookshop, Keene, NH, (Children’s Author Day with illustrator Ryan O’Rourke AND Local Book Launch for Don’t Ask a Dinosaur!)
- Tue., April 17, 7pm: Porter Square Books, Cambridge, MA, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur National Launch Party!!
- Thur., April 26, 10:30am: Pillsbury Free Library, Warner, NH, Dinosaur Storytime with Don’t Ask a Dinosaur!
- Sat., April 28, 2pm: Barnes & Noble, Framingham, MA, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur reading/signing
- Sun., April 29, 2pm: MainStreet BookEnds, Warner, NH, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur reading/signing and discussion
- Sat., May 5, 10am: Barnes & Noble, Burlington, MA, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur reading/signing
- Sat., May 5, 1pm: Barnes & Noble, Nashua, NH, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur reading/signing
- Sat., May 12, 11am: Gibson’s Bookstore, Concord, NH, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur reading/signing
School People (Wordsong), Lee Bennett Hopkins’ new children’s poetry anthology, arrives Feb. 13!
Edited by Flashlight Night editor Rebecca Davis, this book includes 15 poems about the grown-ups that children meet at school…including my poem, “Bus Driver.” I hope you’ll consider picking up a copy!
Thank you so much to all the librarians, bloggers, and parents who are still discovering “Flashlight Night!”
- NY Public Library’s “100 Best Book for Kids 2017!”
- KIRKUS Starred review!
- Amazon “Best Books of the Month,” Sept. 2017!
- “Best Reads of 2017,” Unleashing Readers
Purchasing personalized signed copies ONLINE? Yes, it’s true!
I’ve teamed up with the good folks MainStreet BookEnds in Warner, NH to present an option for people who would love to have a signed copy of one of my books but don’t live anywhere near me. MainStreet BookEnds has ALL but one of my books available for ordering…and the best part is, you can get them personalized!
Just log onto my website and click the cover of whichever book you want, and they will get it to me to sign and send it off to you. Try doing that with those big online booksellers! (Plus, you’ll be helping to support local book-selling – and wouldn’t that make you feel good?)