THE DINOSAURS ARE COMING!
My box of author copies just arrived yesterday, along with a separate box of Don’t Ask a Dinosaur (Pow! Kids) bookmarks! The book, co-authored with Deborah Bruss, arrives in stores everywhere April 17, and we’re planning a dinosaur-sized celebration including TWO launch parties, a special blog tour, an interview with illustrator Louie Chin, and a book giveaway!
If you’d like to pick up a signed copy, just scroll down a bit and you’ll see the complete schedule of where we’re going to be – or you can place your pre-orders now and have your copy personally signed!
As for today’s poem, I took advantage of one of New England’s recent nor-easters by playing outside with my kids (a perk of being a stay-at-home parent and a luxury for a children’s writer), and my 4-year-old daughter and I put this fellow together:
After I took the photo, I realized a short little poem was in order!
None Like Me
I’m sure you’ve seen my relatives.
We’re very much the same:
white, round, sticks for arms,
afraid of open flames.
Some wear old hats or woolen scarves
to keep them looking fine,
but chances are you’ve never seen
a coiffure quite like mine.
– © 2018 Matt Forrest Esenwine, all rights reserved
For more poetry, please visit my friend and fellow blogger/writer Laura Purdie Salas, who is hosting Poetry Friday today at her little spot on the web, Writing the World for Kids.
Also, the Madness! Poetry competition is down to the 4th round with only EIGHT challengers remaining, so be sure to log on and vote for your favorite poems!
SCHOOL PEOPLE are here…and the DINOSAURS are on their way!
DON’T ASK A DINOSAUR hits bookshelves April 17!
New dates continue to be added to the Dinosaur Tour! Here’s the most up-to-date schedule:
- Sat., April 14, 11am: Toadstool Bookshop, Peterborough, NH, (Children’s Author Day with illustrator Ryan O’Rourke AND Local Book Launch for Don’t Ask a Dinosaur!)
- Sat., April 14, 2pm: Toadstool Bookshop, Keene, NH, (Children’s Author Day with illustrator Ryan O’Rourke AND Local Book Launch for Don’t Ask a Dinosaur!)
- Tue., April 17, 7pm: Porter Square Books, Cambridge, MA, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur Dual National Launch Party!! (with Holly Thompson, One Wave at a Time reading/signing/discussion)
- Thur., April 26, 10:30am: Pillsbury Free Library, Warner, NH, Dinosaur Storytime with Don’t Ask a Dinosaur and School People!
- Sat., April 28, 10:30am: Brookline Booksmith, Brookline, MA, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur and School People reading/signing
- Sat., April 28, 2pm: Barnes & Noble, Framingham, MA, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur reading/signing (with Sara Levine, Fossil by Fossil: Comparing Dinosaur Bones reading/signing)
- Sun., April 29, 2pm: MainStreet BookEnds, Warner, NH, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur and School People reading/signing and discussion
- Sat., May 5, 10am: Barnes & Noble, Burlington, MA, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur and School People reading/signing
- Sat., May 5, 1pm: Barnes & Noble, Nashua, NH, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur and School People reading/signing
- Sat., May 12, 11am: Gibson’s Bookstore, Concord, NH, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur and School People reading/signing
- Wed., May 16, 12pm: Concord Hospital Gift Shop, Concord, NH, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur and School People signing
- Sat., May 19, 11:30am-3pm: Barnes & Noble, Salem, NH, National Storytime at 11am, followed by Don’t Ask a Dinosaur and School People reading/signing
- Sat., June 2, 1-3pm: Books-A-Million, Concord, NH, Don’t Ask a Dinosaur and School People reading/signing
Thank you so much to all the librarians, bloggers, and parents who are still discovering “Flashlight Night!”
- NY Public Library’s “100 Best Book for Kids 2017” AND “Staff Pick!”
- KIRKUS Starred review!
- Amazon “Best Books of the Month,” Sept. 2017!
- “Best Reads of 2017,” Unleashing Readers
Purchasing personalized signed copies ONLINE? Yes, it’s true!
In case you haven’t heard, there’s a new way to purchase personalized signed copies of not only Flashlight Night, but ANY of my books or anthologies I’ve been part of!
I’ve teamed up with the good folks MainStreet BookEnds in Warner, NH to present an option for people who would love to have a signed copy of one of my books but don’t live anywhere near me. MainStreet BookEnds has ALL but one of my books available for ordering…and the best part is, you can get them personalized!
Just log onto my website and click the cover of whichever book you want, and they will get it to me to sign and send it off to you. Try doing that with those big online booksellers! (Plus, you’ll be helping to support local book-selling – and wouldn’t that make you feel good?)
29 thoughts on “Poetry Friday: “None Like Me” & Don’t Ask a Dinosaur news!”
That is such a fun poem–and your snowman has quite a do! Many congratulations on DON’T ASK A DINOSAUR! I look forward to reading it!
Thanks, Laura – and congrats to you, as well!
What a busy writer you are, still with time to post a poem. Congrats!
Thanks, Brenda – finding time to write is really easy when you don’t let little things like sleep and personal hygiene get in your way. 😉
LikeLiked by 1 person
LOVE the snowman and the poem (the coiffure and smile are brilliant!). Congrats on the new book!
Thank you, Jama!
That is a unique coiffure–a happy poem to go with a happy snow pal. Congrats on your new Dino Book!
Thanks so much, Buffy!
I’m so, so glad that we haven’t seen snowmen around these parts for a while now – I’m more than done with snow, no matter how stylish those snowpeople might be this season! 😉
And hurray for dinosaurs – I can’t wait to read it!!
Hey – you’re in Canada, Jane! You’re supposed to have more snow than we are, aren’t you?? No fair!
No matter the gripes, it’s so great that you took advantage of that snow and created a lovely friend with your kids, Matt. Wonderful poem, and I love “afraid of open flames” and “seen my relatives”.
Thanks, Linda. They’re still too young to be outside by themselves, so if I’ve got to go with them, I might as well play, right?
Matt: Yes! I love the creative use of materials in the snow person… and the poem is priceless. Let’s face it, we all have relatives with weird dos. This one will stand out in a crowd! Haha.
Congrats on the dino book also. Woo hoo… look at you!
Thanks, Karen, I appreciate that!
Your snowman poem is charming.
You’re really going all out with your dinos! Have fun, Matt!
(Had to laugh about the sleep and personal hygiene comment!)
Ha, thanks, Tabatha! Well, as a stay-at-home dad who’s trying to maintain a writing career AND a voiceover business, something’s gotta give!
So happy for you! More happy for all the kids that are going to get to have fun with Dinosaur! The snowman is definitely stylin’! I do love the coiffure best.
Thank you, Linda! Cosmetology will be my backup plan if this whole kidlit thing doesn’t pan out. 😉
What a fun poem! Maybe I’ll be inspired to go out and build a snowman. I’ll have to do it alone since my great big daughter is soaking up sunshine in Barcelona this weekend. And yes, she’s rubbing it in!
Barcelona?? Oh, I’m so sorry for her… 😉
Love your poem and your snowman 🙂 Congratulations on your book’s birthday! I look forward to reading it soon.
Thank you so much, Kimberly!
As handsome a snowman as I’ve ever seen, Matt. And your line “afraid of open flames” made me laugh and laugh! If there’s any snow left on the ground, I think a snow-dino might be in order. 😉
Thanks, Michelle! There’s about 6″ or so left, but it’s pretty crusty and icy…it appears may may finally be through winter!
Love your snowman’s crown of leaves. How clever! And your poem is great fun, too. Congratulations on you new book, Matt! It looks like another winner!
Thank you, Catherine, we have high hopes!
Love the snow-person poem, and especially the hairdo!
Goodluck with your book visits too.
LikeLiked by 1 person