A few weeks ago, I shared a poem my son had written for school – which was surprisingly good for someone who claims he doesn’t like poetry.
I didn’t realize at the time that he didn’t write the poem for school.
He wrote the poem just because.
He actually wrote four different poems, each about a subject that interests him, although none were required for school as I’d mistakenly thought. Nope, he tells me he wrote them simply because he felt like writing them. (And really, what better reason does one need?)
Now, before I share this second poem of his, I need to interject a little news about my upcoming picture book, I Am Today (POW! Kids Books), which is due out this Tuesday:
My next picture book is due out THIS TUESDAY!
After 6 different publication dates and FIVE delays, it finally arrives everywhere next week, Tue., Feb. 22 – and I really can’t wait for you to see it. (Come to think of it, I haven’t even received my own author copies yet, so I can’t wait to see it, either!)
Anyway, the reason I’m telling you this now is because my son’s poem actually feels inspired by my book’s plot – even though my son isn’t entirely sure it was. He’s very big on nature-based nonfiction and has a strong sense of right and wrong, so it’s possible his poem was all his own doing; however, I can’t help but feel he may have gleaned a bit of inspiration having seen the .pdf of I Am Today, with his imagery of the sea, its threatened life, the brave child, protesters, and a garbage cleanup.
Certainly sounds like I Am Today!
Regardless, I told him I was proud of his effort:
What a kid, eh? He just might end up being a poet yet.
Speaking of poets, my friend Laura Purdie Salas is gearing up for the publication of her own new picture book, We Belong (Carolrhoda, 2022), and she’s celebrating by hosting today’s Poetry Friday roundup at her blog, Small Reads for Brighter Days!
Many thanks to the wonderful folks
who have shared their opinions about
I AM TODAY:
- “An evocative story of a young girl standing up for what she believes in.”
Roxanne Troup, GoodReads with Ronna
- “Flawless rhymes and stunning illustrations…A wonderful book that should be in every home, classroom and library!”
The Momma Spot / Future Bookworms
- “This inspiring, heartfelt picture book literally gave me goosebumps with its hopeful message.”
Marianne Knowles, author and STEM Curriculum Coordinator at the Museum of Science, Boston
- “[The book] brings to mind that every child is unique and has a VOICE. Hopefully, it will find cozy corners in bedrooms and reading/writing stations in classrooms.”
Carol Varsalona, literacy advocate and Wonder Lead Ambassador for Wonderopolis
- “An absolute delight…Love, love, love it!”
Brian Gehrlein, author of THE BOOK OF RULES (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2022)
Read some reviews and learn more about the book, my creative process, and the importance of a good illustrator at the “I Am Today” Blog Tour:
- Nov. 14: Unleashing Readers
- Nov. 29: You May Contribute a Verse
- Nov. 30: Picture Book Spotlight
- Dec. 2: Celebrate Picture Books
- Dec. 3: Beyond Literacy Link
- Dec. 4: Vivian Kirkfield’s “Will Write for Cookies”
- Dec. 7: Writer’s Rumpus
- Dec. 20: Maria C. Marshall’s “Picture Book Buzz”
- Dec. 24: Maria C. Marshall’s “Perfect Picture Book Friday”
- Jan. 4: Future Bookworms (Instagram) / The Momma Spot (blog)
- Jan. 19: PB22Peekaboo
- Feb. 10: GoodReads with Ronna
Read Across America!
That’s right, Read Across America Day is March 2, 2022 and I am once again offering free, 20-minute visits with schools and libraries all across the country!
If you’d like me to read one of my books to your class and share a few details about “the story behind the story,” just send me an email and let me know!
I’m scheduling visits on the hour and half-hour all day long, and slots are already filling up, so don’t wait! You can see my complete list of books below, if you’re wondering what you might like me to read – or I can pick one. It’s up to you!
I’m now a part of the BOOKROO family!
Create an account to add books to wishlists and be notified of special deals and dates…create custom collections…and discover and follow your favorite authors & illustrators!
I continue adding to my “Wit & Wordplay” videos ! These videos were created for parents and educators (along with their kids) to learn how to write poetry, appreciate it, and have fun with it. From alliteration and iambs to free verse and spine poetry, I’m pretty sure there’s something in these videos you’ll find surprising! You can view them all on my YouTube channel, and if you have young kids looking for something to keep busy with, I also have several downloadable activity sheets at my website.
Ordering personalized signed copies online? Oh, yes, you can!
Click any of the covers below to order!
Just click the cover of whichever book you want and send a comment to the good folks at MainStreet BookEnds in Warner, NH requesting my signature and to whom I should make it out. (alternatively, you can log onto my website and do the same thing) They’ll contact me, I’ll stop by and sign it, and then they’ll ship it! (Plus, you’ll be supporting your local bookseller – and won’t that make you feel good?)
Thank you to everyone for your support!
- NY Public Library’s “100 Best Book for Kids 2017” AND “Staff Pick!”
- KIRKUS Starred review!
- Kansas NEA Reading Circle Recommended Books!
- “Best Reads of 2017,” Unleashing Readers
- Finalist, 2019 New Hampshire Literary Awards
- Positive reviews from Horn Book, School Library Connection, School Library Connection, Booklist, Publisher’s Weekly, and Shelf-Awareness!
DON’T ASK A DINOSAUR:
- “Rollicking rhyme!” – Booklist
Did you like this post? Find something interesting elsewhere in this blog? I really won’t mind at all if you feel compelled to share it with your friends and followers!
To keep abreast of all my posts, please consider subscribing via the links up there on the right! (I usually only post once or twice a week – usually Tues. and Fri. – so you won’t be inundated with emails every day) . Also feel free to visit my voiceover website HERE, and you can also follow me via Twitter , Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and SoundCloud!