It was originally scheduled for publication way back on Oct. 5, 2021…and after six, count ’em, SIX delays, my newest picture book, I Am Today (POW! Kids Books), is officially here!
Children are always being told they are the “Future”…but what if a child doesn’t want to wait, to make a difference?
I AM TODAY is about a young girl who recognizes a need to take action. The story includes sea turtles, a factory, a town that rallies together, and even origami! But when you read the story, you’ll notice that NONE of that is in my text; no turtles, no pollution, no origami – not even a girl. I wrote the framework for a narrative, and illustrator Patricia Pessoa created and developed the entire plot!
(and at the end of the book, there are even directions on how to make your own origami turtle!)
Learn more about the book and read reviews at the “I Am Today” Blog Tour:
- Nov. 14: Unleashing Readers
- Nov. 29: You May Contribute a Verse
- Nov. 30: Picture Book Spotlight
- Dec. 2: Celebrate Picture Books
- Dec. 3: Beyond Literacy Link
- Dec. 4: Vivian Kirkfield’s “Will Write for Cookies”
- Dec. 7: Writer’s Rumpus
- Dec. 20: Maria C. Marshall’s “Picture Book Buzz”
- Dec. 24: Maria C. Marshall’s “Perfect Picture Book Friday”
- Jan. 4: Future Bookworms (Instagram) / The Momma Spot (blog)
- Jan. 19: PB22Peekaboo
- Feb. 10: GoodReads with Ronna
Many thanks to all the wonderful bloggers
who have shared their opinions about
I AM TODAY:
- “An evocative story of a young girl standing up for what she believes in.”
Roxanne Troup, GoodReads with Ronna
- “Flawless rhymes and stunning illustrations…A wonderful book that should be in every home, classroom and library!”
The Momma Spot / Future Bookworms
- “An inspirational and motivational story about a young girl who is acting TODAY rather than waiting for the future to make change”
Little Book Locker
- “This inspiring, heartfelt picture book literally gave me goosebumps with its hopeful message.”
Marianne Knowles, author and STEM Curriculum Coordinator at the Museum of Science, Boston
- “[The book] brings to mind that every child is unique and has a VOICE. Hopefully, it will find cozy corners in bedrooms and reading/writing stations in classrooms.”
Carol Varsalona, literacy advocate and Wonder Lead Ambassador for Wonderopolis
- “An absolute delight…Love, love, love it!”
Brian Gehrlein, author of THE BOOK OF RULES (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2022)
Order a PERSONALLY-SIGNED copy of I AM TODAY from my local independent bookstore today!
Read Across America Day is tomorrow, March 2, 2022, and I’m once again offering free, 20-minute visits with schools and libraries all across the country!
I’m now a part of the BOOKROO family!
Create an account to add books to wishlists and be notified of special deals and dates…create custom collections…and discover and follow your favorite authors & illustrators!
I continue adding to my “Wit & Wordplay” videos ! These videos were created for parents and educators (along with their kids) to learn how to write poetry, appreciate it, and have fun with it. From alliteration and iambs to free verse and spine poetry, I’m pretty sure there’s something in these videos you’ll find surprising! You can view them all on my YouTube channel, and if you have young kids looking for something to keep busy with, I also have several downloadable activity sheets at my website.
Ordering personalized signed copies online? Oh, yes, you can!
Click any of the covers below to order!
Just click the cover of whichever book you want and send a comment to the good folks at MainStreet BookEnds in Warner, NH requesting my signature and to whom I should make it out. (alternatively, you can log onto my website and do the same thing) They’ll contact me, I’ll stop by and sign it, and then they’ll ship it! (Plus, you’ll be supporting your local bookseller – and won’t that make you feel good?)
Thank you to everyone for your support!
- NY Public Library’s “100 Best Book for Kids 2017” AND “Staff Pick!”
- KIRKUS Starred review!
- Kansas NEA Reading Circle Recommended Books!
- “Best Reads of 2017,” Unleashing Readers
- Finalist, 2019 New Hampshire Literary Awards
- Positive reviews from Horn Book, School Library Connection, School Library Connection, Booklist, Publisher’s Weekly, and Shelf-Awareness!
DON’T ASK A DINOSAUR:
- “Rollicking rhyme!” – Booklist
Did you like this post? Find something interesting elsewhere in this blog? I really won’t mind at all if you feel compelled to share it with your friends and followers!
To keep abreast of all my posts, please consider subscribing via the links up there on the right! (I usually only post once or twice a week – usually Tues. and Fri. – so you won’t be inundated with emails every day) . Also feel free to visit my voiceover website HERE, and you can also follow me via Twitter , Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and SoundCloud!