Just a short little ditty I came up with after sliding with my kids at our neighbor’s place the other day. Watching them fly down on their tubes while trying to bump each other once they got to the bottom, I started thinking…
Ice and snow spray faces cold
as winter winds go swirling.
Some folks call it tubing – me?
I call it human curling.
– © 2017 Matt Forrest Esenwine, all rights reserved
I hope you’re enjoying the holiday break, as they call it; we’ve had single-digit daytime highs and overnight wind chills near -30° which means the kids have been stuck inside all week! But at least we have some poetry with which to amuse ourselves – and today, my poet/blogger friend Heidi Mordhorst is celebrating trees and hosting Poetry Friday at My Juicy Little Universe.
Today my son turns 8, Sunday we’ll be visiting my sister-in-law and her family, and Monday begins a brand-new year of possibilities – so have a great weekend, and I wish you all the best for a successful, happy, and healthy 2018!
Purchasing personalized signed copies ONLINE? Yes, it’s true!
I’ve teamed up with the good folks MainStreet BookEnds in Warner, NH to present an option for people who would love to have a signed copy of one of my books but don’t live anywhere near me. MainStreet BookEnds has ALL but one of my books available for ordering…and the best part is, you can get them personalized!
Just log onto my website and click the cover of whichever book you want, and they will get it to me to sign and send it off to you. Try doing that with those big online booksellers! (Plus, you’ll be helping to support local book-selling – and wouldn’t that make you feel good?)
- NY Public Library’s “100 Best Book for Kids 2017!”
- KIRKUS Starred review!
- Amazon “Best Books of the Month,” Sept. 2017!
Thank you so much to all who have enjoyed “Flashlight Night” enough to write about it:
- “Delicious language…ingenious metamorphoses” – Kirkus Reviews (starred)
- “The verse is incantatory…a simple idea that’s engagingly executed” – School Library Journal
- An old fashioned, rip-roaring imaginary adventure” – The Horn Book
- “[Esenwine and Koehler] don’t just lobby for children to read—they show how readers play” – Publisher’s Weekly
- “Imaginative…fantastical” – Booklist
- “Favorably recalls Where the Wild Things Are” – Shelf Awareness
- “Readers, you must share ‘Flashlight Night’…as often as you can” – Margie Myers-Culver, Librarian’s Quest
- “Begs to be read over and over” – Michelle Knott, Mrs. Knott’s Book Nook/Goodreads
- “A poetic and engaging journey” – Cynthia Alaniz, Librarian In Cute Shoes
- “Illuminates the power of imagination” – Kellee Moye, Unleashing Readers
- “Readers will be inspired to…create their own journey” – Alyson Beecher, Kidlit Frenzy
- “Beautiful words and stunning illustrations” – Jason Lewis, 5th grade teacher at Tyngsboro Elementary School, Tyngsboro, MA